A very special place…
Welcome to Fiordland. Lake Manapouri, is a special area that we are privileged to visit and operate in.
Come and experience this area by joining us on the water in a sea kayak or on a lake cruise.
We guarantee your visit to Lake Manapouri will be a memorable one.
We are experienced owner/operators with this being our 23rd season in the business that was personally established by Reg and Jo. Our operation is based in Manapouri – we have sold our office so please contact us by phone or email.
We are committed to protecting the natural environment in which we live and work – we have an unblemished safety record and comply with all regulating bodies in the surrounding area.
We follow recommended practices for sustainability and recycling within the environment.
We are involved in the ongoing restoration of Pomona Island on Lake Manapouri – there are now kiwi and mohua on the lsland with more endangered bird species being introduced over time.
We offer a moderate adventure – for kayak rentals previous kayaking experience is required and for your comfort you should have a good level of fitness.
Bring your sense for adventure and fun with you!
We look forward to meeting you and sharing our part of Fiordland with you.
Kind regards, Reg and Jo
Information about what we have to offer and our operation
What we offer:
We have many different options available to cater for your time in the area.
- Hire of personal locator beacons for your personal safety and comfort in remote locations.
- Scenic boat cruises on Lake Manapouri
- Sea kayak rentals for Lake Manapouri for groups with previous kayaking experience. Rental groups will meet at the Pearl Harbour boat ramp. A parking area and toilets are located nearby.
About our operation
Our vessel – ‘Adventurer 1’ is used both for safety backup for kayak rentals and also for scenic lake cruises on Lake Manapouri. Many options can be offered including the opportunity to undertake short walks in areas that are only accessible by boat.
We also offer water taxi transport for locals and contractors requiring to get to and from West Arm.
‘Adventurer 1’ is operated under a safety and survey system (MOSS) where the vessel is surveyed when required and carries all appropriate safety and emergency equipment.
To be allowed to operate in this area we are required to have a concession with the Department of Conservation (they control the Fiordland National Park including Lake Manapouri and any people that operate commercially within it) – our concession No. is 36389 – GUI.
Important points of note in regard to our operation and the area;
- People requesting to rent kayaks are required to have a minimum of at least 3 full days previous kayaking experience – this must include having experience paddling in wind,waves and rough conditions. Water conditions can change quickly on the lake when winds strengthen.
- Rental paddlers carry a VHF radio and or mobile phone on their trip. All relevant safety and paddling equipment is provided to all paddling clients. While rentals are out on the water, our base station continually monitors weather/ wind conditions for unexpected changes – paddlers can make contact with base and assistance will be sent out in the form of a safety vessel if conditions become unsafe.
- Our kayaks and kayaking gear are all made in a set size. This does mean that we do have to apply both height and weight restrictions on clients to ensure safety for all involved. Please enquire directly prior to booking as to regard to our size limits if you feel you may have any issue in this area.
- We close for operations during the winter months. Our business operates seasonally starting from October, through the summer months until April.
- We WILL NOT be operating casual one day kayak rentals during the Christmas Day holiday period from 24th December through to 3rd January 2018.
- Fiordland is situated in an area on the Southwestern corner of the South Island. It is a mountainous area that can sometimes be subject to rapidly changing weather patterns – every care is taken to ensure your safety and enjoyment at all times on rental options. As with all outdoor activities there is a degree of risk that is minimised with our Audited Safety Plan.